Advocacy & Partnership
Keeping the spotlight on the MDGs and ensuring they remain high on the political agenda will be critical to their achievement, particularly as the 2015 target date draws near. As Governments change we need to continuously engage in efforts that encourage leaders at all levels to be accountable to their citizens, particularly poor and excluded groups.
To help us accelerate progress on the MDGs and related goals while advancing collaborative UN efforts, the MDG-F articulated an Advocacy & Communications strategy. This approach responded to the demonstrated need to strengthen citizen’s participation in development efforts and have clear advocacy interventions that push for more inclusive and responsive public policy and practice.
The strategy had one overall goal and three outcomes that were implemented within participating countries, globally and in Spain.
Accelerate progress on the MDGs by raising awareness, strengthening broad- based support and increasing citizen engagement in MDG related policy and practice.
Increased awareness and support for the MDGs and the Fund
- Strategic partnerships with media for advocacy and accountability
- Key dates and events: used to highlight the MDGs and ongoing work (e.g.2010 MDG Review)
- Link with and support citizen groups in advocacy efforts
- Work with UN Communication Groups for joint messaging on MDGs
Programmes are leveraged for increased MDG results and citizen engagement in MDG policy is strengthened
- Strengthen citizen participation in MDG policy and practice
- Encourage adoption of positive policy frameworks based on programme results
Improved accountability and transparency towards all partners
- Clear and consistent information about MDG-F to all partners including citizens, Governments, Donor and UN.